Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, just wow!!!

Additional Information
    Date: 1990
    Variety: DDO
    Mint: Philadelphia
    Coneca: Unknown?
    Wexler: Unknown?
    FS#: Unknown?
    Coppercoins: Not listed.

Hello again everyone,

Well after my big ebay fiasco last night, I was totally craving some searching time. I was able to spend about two hours under the scope examining coins from a recent bag pick up. I had already had a good feeling about this bag even though its statistics turned out to be nothing special (20% copper, only 5 wheats and 1 dime). It was however, loaded with searchable zinc dates. I got twice the number of these than I usually do.

Under the scope, I began picking off finds left and right: A 2004-D DDR#7 (I get a lot of these), 3 1983-D RPM's (I haven't looked them up yet, but they are always a rare find), a strange 1995-D that I need to look into more closely and several late '80's RPM's. I was getting tired, but was satisfied and I told myself that I would quit for the night after one more find, no matter how minor it was.

A few coins later, a 1990 pop's up under the scope. I have been very inconsistent in checking these, but have started including this date in my "to be checked" pile, just because there are a few ddo's and ddr's listed for this date. Did I mention that I was getting tired at this point? So much so, that I almost just tossed this coin aside. Fortunately as I was swiping it to the side, my eye caught a quick flash of "Liberty." Something in my brain screamed STOP!! Kind of an unconscious alarm, but whatever it was it saved my butt from tossing away a huge find.

This coin is what I believe to be an incredible 1990 Class V doubled die. It appears to be of the approximate strength as the 1980 DDO. I posted briefly last night in the 1990 section of the "Die varieties by year" that I had found something. DCW responded that there is a (possibly unique) big 1990 DDO that Wexler had listed in the ARLC book. This might be the second example!! Man I am stoked! Despite a few relatively minor set backs, this hobby continues to give and give! I have never been more appreciative of something as simple as checking pennies. I am light years beyond the times 4 or 5 years ago when I had huge doubts about the time I spend doing this. For any of you beginners who may be frustrated and close to giving up, please realize that if you stick with it and continue to learn, incredible discoveries are a virtual certainty. All it takes is keeping your moral up and continuing the search!

I realize that my pictures are pretty bad, but if I ever had a candidate to send to Jason, this is it!! The coin exhibits pivoted hub doubling on the date and especially Liberty. There are major split serfs on the bottom right of the 1 in the Date and on the upper terminations of the curls in the 9's. Liberty exhibits major split serfs and those at least can be easily seen in my rush job pictures. There is distortion on the motto as well, but I skipped working on those pictures for now.

Obviously, I am super excited and eager to hear everyone's opinions. Above all, I am so humbly thankful for the incredible luck I was bestowed with to find this coin! Thanks for looking everyone!

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks rlmillerjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow John, this is VERY cool!! Can't wait to hear the results. Congratulations!! Bill
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"- Warren Zevon
    One of my other hobbies, Old Boys Rugby: http://mrhaz1978.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    1990- WDDO-004!
    100%.

I'll comment more later, but this was previously considered unique my friend!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's incredible, John! Huge congrats to you!
    This is definitely going on the LCR timeline.
    Last edited by simonm; 03-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DCW View Post
    1990- WDDO-004!
    100%.

I'll comment more later, but this was previously considered unique my friend!
    Holy Cow!!! Thank so much for the update!! I am literally shaking after reading this!! What are the chances?? And way up here near Spokane Washington??? I better start doing many good deeds for all the luck I have had!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Chug,
    I sent a pm for your email address. Ill send you a pic from the book when i get your addy.
    Nice!

8. Thanks Chugly thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A thousand thanks to you DCW! I am freaking out right now and for once, in a good way!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be freaking out too if I found the second example of a previously unique die variety! This is on par in terms of rarity with the 1982 DDR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I'm freaking out with you John!!!!! Congrats again!! Bill
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"- Warren Zevon
    One of my other hobbies, Old Boys Rugby: http://mrhaz1978.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice find John!
    “What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.”